Monday, September 6, 2010

Ode to 50

Now that it has been a couple of weeks and I have gotten used to the fact that I have turned 50, I can talk about what a great day that Birthday was.

I was surrounded by family and got some really great gifts. (Thanks Dear for the IPAD!) One of the gifts was this poem that my son-in-law Ben wrote for me.

On August 22nd the day you arrived
I think the world would have been surprised
That such a small bundle would one day be
The man that would work for Donny and Marie
From the House of Fabrics and BYU
You'd get a women to fall for you
You made the wise choice to make her your wife
And start the rest of your wonderful life
And then the best thing for you and for me
You started your beautiful family
It started with Taryn and then came Katie
The next was Lauren and that way you'd be
Until that fateful day Tami would say
That there was one more on the way
Another girl would have been such a joy
But dang it, he had to be a boy!
Little did you know then one day you'd see
That without him would your family be
What it is today without the little man
To complete the rest of this Day clan?
There have been lots of things along the way
Things that have led you to today
And throught all the challenges for you
You've overcome what few others do
Even after those summers from hell that you had
You managed to be the most wonderful dad
The constant rock for us to lean on
The cheerleader that helped all of us to be strong
For all the times that you yelled "REBOUND!"
To making us always feel welcome around
Even when our choices make things hard
You come to our rescue and then stand guard
And so on the day that you hit big five o
I want to say that you're my hero
We love you so much our special Dad
And thank you for all of the love that you've had

Thank you Ben.

Thank you to my Wonderful Family! This being 50 is not so bad.

1 comment:

Holly said...

What a wonderful tribute to you. It was so fun reading and re-living some of those memories. I am so grateful for the constant friendship and love we have shared- I love you both so much.